CELEBRATING TAYSIDE’S CONTACT CENTRE INDUSTRYon November 12, 2011 at 12:29 am
Over the last ten years, the contact centre industry has become an increasingly important source of employment throughout Dundee, Angus and Perth. In recognition of the continued success of this sector, from Monday, November 7 until Sunday, November 13, the local contact centre industry will step into the spotlight courtesy of Talking Tayside Contact Centre Week.
Cllr Will Dawson, convener of Dundee City Council’s City Development Committee, said: “The contact centre industry is constantly growing and, in today’s world, we would be lost without it. Talking Tayside, the public private partnership initiated by Dundee City Council to develop and promote the contact centre industry in Tayside, allows us to share and recognise best practice and work together to ensure the contact centre industry in the Tayside area is ahead of the game and constantly improving.”
Talking Tayside Contact Centre Week 2011 kicks off on Monday, November 7 with a best practice session for contact centre staff. “By sharing best practice across all the sectors of our successful and dynamic industry, we are ensuring Tayside’s contact centres continue to deliver a world class performance,” said Victoria Rawnsley, Chair of Talking Tayside (www.talkingtayside.co.uk), who added that a second best practice session is being held on Friday, November 11.
Talking Tayside actively promotes the contact centre industry at careers events in schools, colleges, universities and at road shows. “There are a lot of misapprehensions about working in a contact centre,” explained Shona McKnight of Dundee City Council’s Education Development Service, which, as part of Talking Tayside Contact Centre Week, has arranged for local school pupils to visit contact centres. “Spending time in a contact centre and talking to the people who work there can be a real eye-opener – and also helps to highlight the excellent career opportunities available in this growing industry.”
On Thursday, November 10, Jobcentre Plus clients will be able to find out more about these opportunities, as well as exactly what’s involved in working in a contact centre, how to obtain the necessary skills and any current or forthcoming vacancies at the Talking Tayside Information Day. “Jobcentre Plus clients who would like to attend this event should contact their Jobcentre Plus adviser,” said Jane McEwan of Jobcentre Plus.
Talking Tayside Contact Centre Week includes several social events, such as the Talking Tayside Quiz Night, which is being held on the evening of Tuesday, November 8, at the Queen’s Hotel, Dundee. Over 20 teams from local contact centres will compete for the coveted Talking Tayside Quiz Night Trophy, while also raising funds for the Children’s Ward at Ninewells Hospital.
The highlight of Talking Tayside Contact Centre Week will undoubtedly be the Viva Las Vegas Night at G Casino,Dundee, on Sunday, November 13. This glamorous event will feature the presentation of the Talking Tayside Contact Centre Awards 2011, including the highly-prestigious Contact Centre of the Year Award.
- · Contact Centre of the Year, sponsored by Scottish Development International: Aviva, BT (various centres), HMRC, Jobcentre Plus, Lloyds
- · Contact Centre Agent of the Year, sponsored by Search: Gillian Findlay, Aviva; Margaret Butchart, BT Directory Enquiries; Nicola Paterson, BT Business Broadband
- · Contact Centre Manager of the Year, sponsored by BT: Tony Leonard, Aviva; Tanya Geekie, BT Phonebook; Janet Richardson, Jobcentre Plus
- · Operations Manager of the Year, sponsored by City Development Department, Dundee City Council: Susan Sidey, Aviva; Carolyn Ball, BT Directory Enquiries
- · Support Professional of the Year, sponsored by G Casino: Lorna Meldrum, Aviva; Louise Robb, Aviva; Amanda Morton, BT Phone Book
- · Best Newcomer Agent of the Year, sponsored by Aviva: Aaron McDonald, BT Business Broadband; Jamie McDougall, BT Directory Enquiries; Ainsley Wands, BT Business Broadband; Edward Moody, Lloyds
- · Contact Centre Team Leader/Team Manager of the Year, sponsored by Quest: Kate Carmichael, Aviva; Alan Naughton, BT Directory Enquiries; Carrie Carver, HMRC
- · Best Contact Centre Training Award, sponsored by Dundee City Council Education Department: BT Directory Enquiries;Dundee College; Sean Mulgrew, Jobcentre Plus
- · Team of the Year Award, sponsored by Dundee College: The North Team, Aviva; Team 21, HM Revenue & Customs; The Lean Team, Jobcentre Plus
- · Best Company Culture Award, sponsored by Journeycall: BT Directory Enquiries; Jobcentre Plus